Conservation Commission


The Conservation Commission is tasked with enforcing the Wetlands Protection Act in Erving. Often this is referred to as "wetlands permitting" or environmental permitting". The Commission also oversees the Town's conservation land and supports pollinator education at Erving Elementary School.

When do I need environmental permitting?

All construction, filling, or dredging within wetlands jurisdiction must go before the Conservation Commission. If unsure about whether the planned work falls under the jurisdiction, you may reach out to a member. All submissions will be reviewed in public meeting. There are several different types of paperwork:

  • Request for Determination of Applicability - applicant files this asking if the Wetlands Protection Act is applicable to the site and scope of work. If it is determind that it is applicable, then a Notice of Intent (NOI) must be submitted for review by the Conservation Commission. If it is determined that it is not applicable, then the applicant may move forward with their project without further paperwork
  • Notice of Intent - required when a project is subject to the Wetlands Protection Act. This paperwork outlines the scope of work and location so that the Conservation Commission can host a public hearing to review and neighbors (abutters) can ask questions and voice any concerns
  • Orders of Conditions - prepared by the Conservation Commission after reviewing a Notice of Intent, if they determine that a project is acceptable to move forward then they are able to put a set of conditions that must be met for the project to be in Compliance
  • Certificate of Compliance - Requested by the applicant when the project is complete. This should be done within 3 years of the issuance of the Order of Conditions or an extension may be applied for

Please see the sidebar for specific instructions on submitting the above documents.

Members of the Conservation Commission are appointed yearly by the Board of Selectmen.

Staff Contacts

Name Phone
Mariah Kurtz (413) 422-2800 Ext. 1108

Commission Members

Name Title
David Brule Chair (2023)
Beth Bazler Member (2022)
Michael Shaffer Member (2022)
Mark Blatchley Member (2021)
Carie Berg Member (2023)
Morning Star Chenven Member