As the response to COVID-19 has evolved on the federal and State levels, so has the response locally.
COVID-19 Case Information in Massachusetts
The state is providing daily updates on cases and testing. Massachusetts COVID-19 Updates
On Tuesday, March 31, 2020, Governor Baker has issued a new emergency order requiring non-essential businesses and organizations to close to the public and employees until May 4, 2020.
In accordance with the Governor’s order, the Town is extending the closing of non-essential offices until May 4, 2020.
This means that all non-essential offices and facilities will remain closed to the public. The following offices and facilities will remain closed:
- Erving Elementary School
- Erving Senior & Community Center
- Erving Public Library
- Erving Recreation Office & all Erving Playgrounds
- The Erving Town Hall
Important Town Updates
- Annual Town Meeting Postponed: Annual Town Meeting has been rescheduled to Wednesday, June 17, 2020. On March 30, 2020 the Board of Selectmen voted to move the Annual Town Meeting to June in response to the COVID-19 situation. Town Meeting cannot be held electronically and the prohibition on gatherings of more than 10 persons may still be in effect when the Town is regularly scheduled for Town Meeting.
- Annual Town Election Postponed: Annual Town Election has been rescheduled for Monday, June 22, 2020 with polling hours of 12PM to 7PM. Incumbent elected officials will continue to serve until the election is conducted. Voter registration continues to occur through the Town Clerk’s office.
- Almost Anything Goes Cancelled: in response to the COVID-19 situation the annual Almost Anything Goes program has been cancelled for 2020. We cannot reasonably protect our workers during this situation to conduct this work. Additionally, the Sheriff’s Office cannot provide assistance as they do annually and the vendor that normally hauls the material is unable to do the work. The Town will make residents aware of other opportunities to dispose of materials.
Continuity of Services
While physical locations are closed to the public, Town of Erving staff and vendors proudly continue to provide services to our residents.
- Public Safety:
- Police & Fire staff continue to staff their shifts and are responding to calls. If you are in need of assistance, please dial 911. Do not go directly to these locations as they are closed to the public.
- Emergency Management is working with state & regional partners as well as Town’s public health team and department heads to monitor the situation, acquire supplies, and coordinate our response.
- Public Works:
- Public works staff are continuing to maintain critical infrastructure. If you need assistance, please call (413) 423-3500 and leave a message. Do not go directly to this location as it is closed to the public.
- Weekly collection of trash & recycling will continue on Fridays.
- General Government:
- Financial Services: The Town’s financial team is working to process abatements, payments, payroll, and accounts payable to keep all operations moving. Contact the respective offices at Town Hall by phone (413) 422-2800 and leave a message. The Town Hall drop box is also available for your use.
- Licensing, Vital Records, and other requests: Town staff are working to respond to requests in a timely manner. Please contact the Town Clerk’s office by calling (413) 422-2800 ext. 1106 or the Board of Selectmen’s office by calling (413) 422-2800 ext. 1101 to make your request.
- Planning & Project Development: Town staff are working remotely with engineers and contractors to continue to make progress on projects that were in the works or that are scheduled to begin in 2020. Individuals looking for Planning Board & Conservation Commission review for projects, should contact Town Hall by calling (413) 422-2800 ext. 1108.
- Public Meetings- Only essential public meetings are continuing at this time and have moved to an audio/video conference format. Meeting information is available on the Town posting board and on the Town website www.erving-ma.gov
- Human Services
- Senior Services: While the Senior & Community Center is closed to the public, welfare checks are still being conducted on Erving seniors. Brown bag food pick up services are also available for Erving Seniors who sign up with the Center. Please call (413) 423-3649 for more information.
- Board of Health: The Board of Health staff is actively engaged in the COVID-19 response. If you have a non-COVID-19 related matter that needs addressing, please contact (413) 422-2800 ext. 1101. Please leave a message and they will do their best to respond to you in a timely manner. Please be patient.
- Culture & Recreation:
- Library: Library staff are available remotely to assist patrons. All due dates for materials are being extended so there is no need to return your materials to the Library at this time. Many electronic materials and services are available to you online: https://www.erving-ma.gov/erving-public-library. The Library Facebook page is another regularly updated source of remote programming information.
- Recreation: The Recreation Commission has closed the Town’s playgrounds. This includes Veterans Memorial Field, Park Street Park, Riverfront Park, Church Street Park, and Zilinski Field. The green space is still open for use and people need to continue to practice social distancing. Additionally, spring T-ball and baseball have been cancelled. Summer park plans are being reviewed. Information is always available online https://www.erving-ma.gov/recreation-commission/pages/recreation and on the Recreation Commission’s Facebook page.
- The School Department staff has been in touch with students and families about distance learning for the remainder of the School closure. Principal Candito has provided updated guidance and information on resources. This information is available online: http://erving.com/
- For families needing to access the internet for their child’s education, the Town is serviced by broadband provided by Comcast. Comcast has provided an internet essentials product.
These offices have regular updates regarding programs and services on the Town website (www.erving-ma.gov) and on their respective Facebook pages.
The social distancing and restrictions placed on our business community are presenting a significant hardship. Resources are becoming available on the Federal, State, and regional levels. As the Town becomes aware of these resources, we will post them online: Business Resources
The state has provided a list of what businesses can continue to operate during the State of Emergency while continuing to practice the necessary precautions. Essential Services Designation Listing
- If you do not believe that your specific function is listed you can ask for clarification by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Further, if the function of your business is not listed above, but you believe that it is essential or it is an entity providing essential services or functions, you may request designation as an essential business.
- Requests by businesses to be designated an essential function should only be made if they are NOT covered by the guidance.
- To request designation as an essential business, please click here.
All non-school related questions and concerns can be communicated by email at email@example.com or by phone by calling (413) 422-2800. Please be patient. Staff will monitor these accounts and respond when possible.